An affinity for stray dogs and a random encounter with Dog World magazine brought Allan Reznik into a lifetime of dogs. He talked his father into dropping him off at a dog show in Montreal, at age 12, where an Afghan exhibitor recognized his interest. The die was cast, as it were.Read More
Category: People & Places
AKC releases a new point schedule every year in May to determine how many entries it takes to earn championship points in each breed. Intermittently, the “divisions” are adjusted as well. On May 16 this year, the new points schedule and a division realignment go into effect.Read More
Dog show judges, their knowledge and skill level are a constant topic of conversation in purebred dogs. The role of adjudicating in a subjective sport has routinely been akin to wearing a bulls-eye at a firing range.Read More
The 2012 Winkie Award for Best Professional Handler, said it best: “A legend in the Terrier ring, Bergit Coady Kabel’s dogs are always groomed to perfection and flawlessly presented. Always polite and professional, she is totally dedicated to her dogs.”Read More
Pure Dog Talk sponsored a live seminar in March. Exhibitors interacted directly with judges Pat Trotter, Desmond Murphy and Ken Murray and professional handler Andy Linton to address the topic of developing an eye for a dog and answer audience questions.Read More
When Loraine Boutwell and her husband, Victor, acquired their first Brittany in 1953 they paid $35. The puppy traveled by train from Oklahoma to Topeka, Kansas in what Loraine describes as something like a wooden orange crate.Read More
All breed and specialty clubs throughout the country are struggling. Members are aging, new members are few and far between. Some clubs are struggling financially, others burdened with a handful of active members. Some have even closed their doors. AKC Club Development’s main focus is to help clubs grow.Read More
We talk a lot about pedigrees in dogs, but AKC Judge Ann Yuhasz and her family have been involved in dogs, specifically English Setters, since the 1960s. Yuhasz noted that starting with her mother, to herself, to her daughter, to now her granddaughter, purebred dogs are an inextricable part of their “family DNA.”Read More
Sioux Forsyth, daughter of dog show royalty, handled dogs professionally herself and is now judging, following in the footsteps of her parents, Robert and Jane Forsyth. This is part two of our conversation with her.Read More
Sioux Forsyth is the modern day “keeper of the flame” in the memory of her parents, the late, great, Robert and Jane Forsyth. The only husband and wife team to this day to both win Best in Show at Westminster Kennel Club, the Forsyths were formidable handlers in the Golden Era of large kennels owned and operated by wealthy benefactors. In the 1980s, they both retired and turned to judging, eventually each acquiring the coveted “all-breed” status.Read More
Westminster Kennel Club’s newest show chair, David Helming, has certainly experienced this prestigious events from all ends of the spectrum. Helming took over as show chair for Tom Bradley last year. But he has judged his breed, Newfoundlands, there and, he and his wife, Peggy, bred and owned Josh, the 2004 BIS winner, shown by Michelle (Ostermiller) Scott.Read More
Don’t Miss An Episode…
- Thank you! Thank You!December 11, 2017 by 11outfox123 from New Zealand
I love these podcasts!! Even though I have been involved in breeding and showing for many years, I can not believe how much I have learnt from Laura and her guests. We live in NZ, and these podcasts make us feel not so far away from the rest of the dog world, to have this kind of information shared is remarkable. Allison Foley is my fave Laura guest and as a result listening to her, we have purchased several of the Leading Edge Dog Show Acadamy lessons and boy! they are good! Thank you Laura, amazing work. I can not recommend you highly enough!
- iBulldogges Loves You Laura ReevesDecember 7, 2017 by Biggieushnbdf from United States
I must admit, I've been very selfish about this podcast... my most recent obsession.. I wanted to ingest all of it before everyone else. Currently on episode 130 ? Laura Reeves is so engaging, informative and sincere it's hard not to get choked up when she does. The passion just pours out of her and her interviewees. She's everything I want to be for my #OEBCommunity ... She touches on health, education, wellness, giving back, SHOWS and the history of our beloved animals, animal rights and PUR RIGHTS TO HAVE & BREED our babies ?
- Golden RetrieversDecember 4, 2017 by Jill Simmons from United States
I'm addicted. I love the shoptalk, and also the humor and friendliness.
- Great ResourceDecember 2, 2017 by Adam Ninja from United States
What a great resource for a novice handler and breeder. Informative and very supportive! What a great way to promote purebred dogs, and support thoughtful breeding and confirmation (among other dog activities) in an unbiased and modern way. Kudos to Laura.
- Best dog podcast EVER!October 21, 2017 by Mrcdzz from Mexico
Thank you so much for all the info you share! I love this podcast and can’t wait to hear new episodes ?
- All the love for Pure Dog Talk!October 17, 2017 by LovesPoodles from United States
Love listening to Laura while I walk, groom or drive to shows. Showing my first dog right now and it’s helping so much! Love Pure Dog Talk!
- A podcast just for dog peopleOctober 13, 2017 by turkhaven from United States
Love you Laura! I listen to this one as soon as an ep is posted. Great topics.
- Informative History for oldtimers and new peopleSeptember 13, 2017 by Jason Hkm from United States
Each interview gives great insight into our sport. The deatil of history and how the sport is progressing should be heard by everyone involved in our sport. Well worth the time!!
- Learning and relearningSeptember 11, 2017 by Going for a Spin from United States
These podcasts have information that I may have stored somewhere, but the succinct, timely and well detailed reminders are welcome! AND I'm learning so much new information to be a better owner, handler and trainer.
- Maltese BreederSeptember 11, 2017 by LynCachia from Australia
Excellent content on every subject with valuable information that all worldwide authorities could adopt. Unbiased, and practical knowledge.
- Awesome podcast!August 11, 2017 by whatsappwiththis from United States
Fascinating information I haven't found anywhere else! Thanks so much!
- Awesome resource for owner handlers!!!June 30, 2017 by FMJ88 from United States
A must, if you show your own dogs!
- Great!June 30, 2017 by Machborzoi from United States
I love the variety of topics and inclusion of top names all aspects of dog sports/breeding. Can't recommend this podcast enough to the purebred dog community!
- Great PodcastJune 18, 2017 by MRenLew from United States
My first one was 81. I will now have to go listen to the others.
- Just what I was looking for!June 9, 2017 by Khailee from United States
Well produced, interesting, informative. Awesome!
- Long OverdueJune 2, 2017 by KCoonhound from United States
Such a wonderful service to the fancy! People have said for years that it's sad to lose the wisdom and insights of the "great ones" of the sport. Thanks to Laura, these personal interviews will go on to inspire breeders and exhibitors of the future. I wish that the ones who are lost to us had had this avenue to share their knowledge in their own words.
- My favorite podcastMay 14, 2017 by diggindog from United States
Great information in compact, concise episodes in an array of interesting topics. I've learned a ton of helpful hints. Highly recommended.
- Great podcast about dogsApril 28, 2017 by NevadaExplorer from United States
I am just getting started into the dog show scene. Every podcast answers question and/or makes me aware of things I should know.
- An amazing resource!April 13, 2017 by wynnypi from United States
I enjoy the wide range of topics discussed on this podcast. I am slowly working up the courage to start showing my dog in conformation and it is a direct result of listening. This podcast breaks down many different aspects of dog sports but also discusses topics like whelping a litter, search and rescue, and up and coming new dog sports. Keep up the good work! Definitely one of my favorites!
- An outstanding podcast!April 3, 2017 by ConorIRE from United States
This podcast is superb. It's very well done and filled wtih useful, insightful and entertaining information for any and all interested in purebred dogs and the activities that surround them. For passionate newbies (like me) and long term ethusiasts there is a lot to love here! I'm excited to hear more.
- So informative!March 23, 2017 by alaskaguy from United States
I have listened to just about every Pure Dog Talk podcast that I could find and learned something from every episode. Laura Reeves is an engaging host and her guests are among the best in the dog world. Laura's questions sometimes get a little long winded but they elicit informative responses. I wish there were more past episodes to download. Keep up the great work.
- ManyMarch 15, 2017 by Gun Dogs of Navarino from United States
I REALLY enjoy Laura Reeves podcast! They are super for listening to while driving to a dog show. They are informative, professional, upbeat and often funny. Also enjoy her column in "Best In Show Daily".
- Excellent!March 15, 2017 by DogmomMary from United States
From novice to pro this podcast is for everyone. Interesting topics and people. The puppy series was great and as I've just taken on the mantle of "specialty coordinator", Betty Anne's could not be more timely. I LOVE that we get three episodes a week! Thanks to all, great job.
- Great information!February 17, 2017 by fbdfanatic from United States
Thank you for doing these informative and entertaining podcasts.
- Great informationFebruary 12, 2017 by DNaeWilson from United States
I am always looking for resources to better me as a breeder and a breeder-owner-handler. Happy to have found Pure Dog Talk!
- Really Great Info!January 31, 2017 by GrayPaper from United States
This is a great podcast for all dog show people!! Although I am fairly new to the sport of dogs I learn something new with every podcast.
- Great ResourceJanuary 28, 2017 by Jana Twotwo from United States
These podcasts give wonderful, up to date information about starting your dog right. It has been a long time since I have had a puppy and now I have the tools to help my dog get it right. Mary and Laura are very knowledgeable and share their knowledge. Super podcasts.
- Pure Dog TalkJanuary 28, 2017 by Nona k from United States
Excellent and informative!
- Kudos to Pure Dog Talk!January 27, 2017 by Kelly Rauch from United States
I am so excited to have open access to the latest in education, training and expertise from some of the best in the dog world. Kudos on being a one-stop-shop for all things dog....
- Great puppy info!January 27, 2017 by DRmatopoeia from United States
Really enjoyed "Bomb Proof your Puppy"! Very pro- nice podcast!
- So enjoyable!January 27, 2017 by Seawitch_Whippets from Canada
I've been a fan since the beginning, and I'm glad to see something catering to our dog world. I've downloaded them all, and listen to the podcasts on long trips to dog shows, or just quick jaunts across town. My only feedback would be for the hosts to remember that not everyone has been in the sport forever, so maybe a little introduction and background to some of the guests would be good. Otherwise, top notch!
- AspenelkJanuary 27, 2017 by Aspenelk from United States
Well done, badly needed
- Bomb Proofing we all need!January 27, 2017 by SJR200 from United States
What we all wish we'd known when we got our first puppy. Really invaluable information on socializing the right way!
- Fantastic Resource!January 25, 2017 by Ittybittypilot from United States
Great for dog people of all levels, a great review for anyone, and guidance for those new to dog sports. Thank you for all your hard work!
- Very thankful to have found this Podcast!January 25, 2017 by KJMAJJM from United States
If you are a dog lover you'll want to know about this PODCAST. Professional and experienced guests are asked interesting questions and give expert insight and advice. I'm super excited to have found this Podcast. I can't get enough of it. For those who do not have mentors, or their mentors are not the best communicators, this show is greatly appreciated. I feel like I've found gold at the end of a rainbow. I want more episodes and I want them longer! lol :) Thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this Podcast.
- Great adviceJanuary 17, 2017 by Sylvia rutmanis your neice from United States
It is great advice I am gonna use all of your advice for the new puppy's and my other dogs
- Essential for ALL dog ownersJanuary 9, 2017 by Crazy4Dobermans from United States
Terrific, honest and fun podcast all about dog shows. Finally, here's someone explaining dog shows in detail without being too "inside baseball". Great discussions whether you're just starting out in dogs or have spent a lifetime handling. EVERY new dog owner should listen and every breeder should share with their puppy owners.
- An outstanding resource for purebred dog enthusiasts!January 6, 2017 by Marcy Burke from United States
BRAVO to Mary Albee and Laura Reeves for creating this amazing podcast! I love that the topics change, so there is something for every purebred dog lover.
- New favorite!December 24, 2016 by Charleehw from United States
I listen to different local Northwest podcasts every day. Dog Talk is my new favorite! My 7 year old daughter who is in 4-H with dogs loves it too and requested that I share it with all the kids. I've shown dogs for 28 years but still found so many helpful pearls. And a great way to reinforce good habits. Keep them coming!
- Excellent for New HandlersDecember 13, 2016 by McmJen from United States
This podcast is fantastic at explaining the in's and out's of handling your dog. I am new to the sport and love it!
- Great resource!December 4, 2016 by lrmars from United States
This podcast is a great resource for the purebred dog owner!
- Improving my ShowmanshipDecember 2, 2016 by Marzdogs from United States
Pure Dog Talk pod cast are very informative and easy to follow. Laura does a great job explaining how to work with your dog to get the most out of them in the show ring. I have only listened to the first 4 so far and I look forward to listening to many more to help improve my showmanship and my dogs performance.
- Great info!December 2, 2016 by Melissa Everett Laggis from United States
Clear and concise information with a friendly tone. As a brand new exhibitor (of Standard Poodles, no less!!), the information presented in these episodes are priceless!
- Real-life dog talkDecember 2, 2016 by MikeMcCallum from United States
This a a great podcast by long-time dog people: breeder, handler, owner. Laura is a straight shooter and has been in dogs since birth. She has a wealth of experience to share—all you have to do is listen!!
- Tips for successDecember 2, 2016 by Cool Sue from United States
This is an amazing source of information from professional handlers in the know. So much to learn from the professionals. Wish I had access to this info years ago.
- Awesome!December 2, 2016 by Aaron111111111111119 from United States
Love it! Great for dog show enthusiasts!
- PureDogTalk Rocks!December 2, 2016 by KimRTaylor from United States
What an awesome new resource for purebred dog owners!