59 – Stud Dog Management #4: Foreign Affairs – Critical Tips Before You Import or Export Semen
Foreign Affairs – Critical Tips to Know Before Import or Export of Semen
Every country has different requirements for import and export of semen and are constantly changing the rules!
Some require blood testing prior to collection, some after collection, some after a waiting period. If that wasn’t enough, the tests vary and even the dilutions of the “standard” tests vary.
Ship the Stuff with an Expert
Sirius is one of the most recommended import/export all-in-one services for shipping semen safely.
Critical Tips to Consider 3-6 Months Prior to Shipping
- Group Shipments – Planning ahead allows for group shipping with considerable savings. Solo shipments can range around $2,500.
- Plan up to 6 months ahead – there are quarantine requirements, USDA requirements, and lots of paperwork
- Cryrodrum – NEVER USE! Use a dry vapor shipper with aluminum tank, shipped in outer fiberglass and with a shipper rated for 21 days. Yes, you have to pay round trip shipping on the tank, but better than dead swimmers.
- Fees on both ends – Someone familiar with procedure has to receive the shipment and work with authorities on acceptance
- Microchips are essential for most countries as permanent identification
- Collection vet (in U.S.) has to be currently accredited with USDA
- Get copies of foreign collections reports for review PRIOR to contracting the semen
- Ask Sirius for recommendations for collection in another country – get an experienced referral
Why Sirius Fertility?… Service!
Not just a great interview but Sirius handles all the paperwork and timing of tests and shipping. The Stud Dog owner just needs to follow the directions of when to make appointments.
Sirius handles the AKC registration and DNA so the litter can be registered.
New Gene Pool Horizons – Russia
Russian just opened up for import and export of semen. Most other countries are also on track to approve or consider import and export.
Just think of the gene pool opportunities in countries that breeders have not had access to.
As Bill McFadden would say:
THANKS FOR A GREAT AND INFORMATIVE SERIES!
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER — FRANCIS BACON
Pure Dog Talk is grateful to all of the mentors in our sport who support us with their knowledge, their kindness and their generosity. JOIN us today in providing access to this invaluable “watering hole” for anyone who is thirsty for knowledge. Your pledge of as little as $5/month helps guide the next generation of dog fanciers. Click the “Be My Patron on Podbean” button to join our “listener supported” team at Pure Dog Talk.