202 — Mentoring the Future LIVE at the Copper Classic | Pure Dog Talk
Mentoring people in the sport will keep it alive
PureDogTalk host Laura Reeves moderated a LIVE Saturday Symposium sponsored by the Copper Classic in Prescott, Ariz. on the topic of Mentoring the Future. Judges Joyce Vanek, Cindy Vogels and John Wade headlined the panel.
Become the change you want to see
Anna Mysliwiec, Prescott Arizona Kennel Club, said, “We are the start of the change.”
“As a judge if I have a novice in the ring I try to help them,” Wade said. “We have to encourage people. Maybe the dog they have right now isn’t show quality, but they’d like to continue in the sport. Encourage someone so they are here tomorrow.”
Juniors speak up
Juniors attending the Seminar asked great questions, including one that prompted this response from Vogels:
“What’s the hardest part of being a judge?” asked by Julia, age 9.
Vogels: “…we realize each of you love your dog. We get to please very few people by the end of the day. The hardest part of judging is 5 dogs, 4 ribbons.”
Another junior attending, Kyle, age 14, asked, “What’s the first thing you notice about a dog when it comes in the ring.”
Vanek said, “The overall presence of the handler and dog.” Vogels added, “Correct silhouette.”
Suggestions for clubs, breeders and exhibitors to “mentor the future” included:
- Encourage young people to be apprentice ring stewards
- Offer a Peewee Handling Competition at the show
- Advise all-breed clubs to offer Junior Showmanship as a FREE class
- Hire former junior handlers to judge Junior Showmanship classes
- Offer “best of the best” Junior Showmanship competitions with monetary prizes
- Support scholarship programs like those offered by PHA and other organizations
- Organize a potluck at the show for exhibitors in your breed
- Focus on the positive instead of the drama when counseling new exhibitors
- Show courtesy to ring stewards
- Encourage local and national breed clubs to offer junior memberships and junior showmanship competition.
- Remember that the ribbon, the win, isn’t everything
“Welcome people to the sport,” Wade said. “Welcome people to your clubs. We need club members. The “greying of our sport” is apparent everywhere.”
Become a PureDogTalk Patron
For folks who haven’t checked out the PureDogTalk Patrons program, visit https://patron.podbean.com/puredogtalk … A supporting gift of as little as $5/month helps make possible LIVE events like this one and our continued “crowdsourcing” of knowledge. As a bonus, Patrons receive access to outtakes and additional material, including a wonderful soliloquy from this event in which Johnny Shoemaker talks about how he helped create the wildly popular PeeWee competition.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER — FRANCIS BACON
Pure Dog Talk is grateful to all of the mentors in our sport who support us with their knowledge, their kindness and their generosity. JOIN us today in providing access to this invaluable “watering hole” for anyone who is thirsty for knowledge. Your pledge of as little as $5/month helps guide the next generation of dog fanciers. Click the “Be My Patron on Podbean” button to join our “listener supported” team at Pure Dog Talk.