Dr. Gayle Watkins from Avidog.com
Addresses the latest research on proper nutrition of the dam prior to breeding, and how the dam's nutrition affects immunity, temperament, and life-long health in our puppies.
The 7 Stages of Growth
Macro Nutrients: Sources and minimum requirements at pregnancy, neonatal, lactation and weaning stages.
- Fat and
- Carbohydrates - their sources and minimum requirements at stages of pregnancy, neonatal, lactation and weaning are discussed.
- Folic Acid to enhance brain and nervous system development and to reduce cleft pallet occurences.
- Probiotics for immune support and to help establish a healthy microbiome in the puppies
How the vaginal birthing process affects immune system development.
Importance of colostrum in the first 12 hours.
Blood Test on the Dam that tells:
- When maternal antibodies drop
- When Puppies are vulnerable to parvovirus and distemper
- Identifies when to vaccinate - when puppies can respond to vaccine
- Reduces number of puppy vaccinations required for protection
- Enables better socialization