11-Dr. Gayle Watkins – Nutrition of the Dam, Canine Nomograph and Puppy Immunity
Dr. Gayle Watkins from Avidog.com
Addresses the latest research on proper nutrition of the dam prior to breeding, and how the dam’s nutrition affects immunity, temperament, and life-long health in our puppies.
The 7 Stages of Growth
Macro Nutrients: Sources and minimum requirements at pregnancy, neonatal, lactation and weaning stages.
- Fat and
- Carbohydrates – their sources and minimum requirements at stages of pregnancy, neonatal, lactation and weaning are discussed.
- Folic Acid to enhance brain and nervous system development and to reduce cleft pallet occurences.
- Probiotics for immune support and to help establish a healthy microbiome in the puppies
How the vaginal birthing process affects immune system development.
Importance of colostrum in the first 12 hours.
Blood Test on the Dam that tells:
- When maternal antibodies drop
- When Puppies are vulnerable to parvovirus and distemper
- Identifies when to vaccinate – when puppies can respond to vaccine
- Reduces number of puppy vaccinations required for protection
- Enables better socialization
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER — FRANCIS BACON
Pure Dog Talk is grateful to all of the mentors in our sport who support us with their knowledge, their kindness and their generosity. JOIN us today in providing access to this invaluable “watering hole” for anyone who is thirsty for knowledge. Your pledge of as little as $5/month helps guide the next generation of dog fanciers. Click the “Be My Patron on Podbean” button to join our “listener supported” team at Pure Dog Talk.