11 – Dr. Gayle Watkins – Nutrition of the Dam, Canine Nomograph and Puppy Immunity
Dr. Gayle Watkins from Avidog.com
Addresses the latest research on proper nutrition of the dam prior to breeding, and how the dam’s nutrition affects immunity, temperament, and life-long health in our puppies.
The 7 Stages of Growth
Macro Nutrients: Sources and minimum requirements at pregnancy, neonatal, lactation and weaning stages.
- Fat and
- Carbohydrates – their sources and minimum requirements at stages of pregnancy, neonatal, lactation and weaning are discussed.
- Folic Acid to enhance brain and nervous system development and to reduce cleft pallet occurences.
- Probiotics for immune support and to help establish a healthy microbiome in the puppies
How the vaginal birthing process affects immune system development.
Importance of colostrum in the first 12 hours.
Blood Test on the Dam that tells:
- When maternal antibodies drop
- When Puppies are vulnerable to parvovirus and distemper
- Identifies when to vaccinate – when puppies can respond to the vaccine
- Reduces the number of puppy vaccinations required for protection
- Enables better socialization
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER — FRANCIS BACON
When you become a patron of Pure Dog Talk you’ll tap into an exclusive community of experts to help you and your dog be blue-ribbon best at whatever you do with your purebred dog! Your support helps keep the MP3's rolling at Pure Dog Talk!
As a supporter, you’ll immediately gain access to the weekly Pure Pep Talk SMS, Pure Pep Talk private Facebook group, and priority emails. Patrons can choose to level up to the After Dark Zoom and a Patrons Digital Badge for their website— even a private counseling session with Laura on any topic.