Wednesday Wisdom: Winning from the Judge’s Perspective: Dog Show Mentor, Lee Whittier | Pure Dog Talk
LEE WHITTIER: Dog Show Mentor
- Don’t have the time to be a handler’s assistant?
- Not winning consistently as an owner-handler?
- Willing to learn and change habits?
3 Simple Tips
Before you gloss over these three simple tips, with “yeah, I’ve heard this before”.
STOP AND THINK
Maybe you heard them before for good reason… and should reconsider them again.
- Set goals. Dog Shows should be a road trip with a destination.
- Evaluate your dog using your breed standard. Judges are trained to evaluate according to the standard. So know your standard and how your dog stacks ups to it.
- Good sportsmanship is sexy. alluring and attractive. Smile and say thank you. You might not have won this time, but good behavior builds good relationships and is more fun.
From the Judge’s Perspective
As an AKC Judge, Lee Whittier often saw quality, but untrained dogs with exhibitors that could use some help. Digging a little deeper, Lee realized that the exhibitors that really needed a mentor were not just the beginners, but the Owner-Handlers that have been showing for 5-15 years.
Owner Handlers – Help from the Judge’s Perspective
Many owner-handlers have ring experience but have also developed habits, attitudes, or beliefs about their breed, dog, or ring procedures that actually keep them from succeeding.
What is the Dog Show Judge Thinking?
Ever walk out of the ring wondering what the dog show judge was thinking? Many exhibitors lay “blame” on the professional handler in the ring, rather than examine other reasons.
Dog Show Mentor is a program developed by Lee Whittier to mentor owner-handlers from the judge’s perspective.
Enjoy listening to Lee Whittier as she gives 3 tips and a few suggestions to help you improve today. LISTEN TO EPISODE
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER — FRANCIS BACON
When you become a patron of Pure Dog Talk you’ll tap into an exclusive community of experts to help you and your dog be blue-ribbon best at whatever you do with your purebred dog! Your support helps keep the MP3's rolling at Pure Dog Talk!
As a supporter, you’ll immediately gain access to the weekly Pure Pep Talk SMS, Pure Pep Talk private Facebook group, and priority emails. Patrons can choose to level up to the After Dark Zoom and a Patrons Digital Badge for their website— even a private counseling session with Laura on any topic.